Sunday, March 30, 2008

More Shuffle Silliness

I seriously need to get more competitive. I start every single race with the same goal: to finish it and have fun. Those are good goals, right? Yes, yes, they are. I know that. But I'd love to run across the start line with some serious ambition. Like... "I'm going to PR today!" or "I'm going to get all 10 minute miles today!" or "I'm going to have a sub-55 8k!" None of these things crossed my mind at the Shuffle today. But I did finish and have fun.

I spotted Barb and her hubby in the Corral (did I mention my corral start?) and proceeded to spaz out about how cool it was to be in Corral D. I told them about my dad's wise advice before I left the house this morning. "Move to the side, so you don't get trampled," he said. I took in my surroundings. It was so cool to be in Corral D. I felt like a total VIP. Perhaps the most exciting part was when I realized we were moving forward and the open corral wasn't. They weren't allowed to go anywhere until we all crossed the start line! Now, normally, I'd be at the back of the open corral... so to look behind me and see an 8 min/mile pace group? Well, let's just say I was enjoying the only corral start I'll likely EVER see.



My corral! Corral D. :)

The 8 min/mile pace group. Behind the fence. Behind us!

You can't really tell from the picture, but that's us moving forward and open corral waiting.
The run itself was good. I ran, I took in the city, and I had fun. 58:31. Not too shabby for the awful joke of training I did beforehand, and a good kickstart to the spring racing season. But when the race was over, I still had lots of energy. I had the energy to full out sprint at the end. All that tells me that if I tried just a little bit harder... I could set some serious PRs this season.

2 comments:

Big Jay said...

You definitely have a lot of PR's to set this year. I'm really excited to watch your progress and turn into a little speed demon!

jtj3 said...

Congrats on a good run! I was all ready to run the Shuffle this year (I got a corral start, too!) but had to pull out because of being sick. But seeing your pix...it was just like being there!