Saturday, May 10, 2008

This is What Makes Getting up at 5:30 am on Saturdays Worth It...

It's been so long, I almost forgot how much I love Saturday runs with TNT. It is so nice to see everybody all pumped and ready to run at 7:00 am!

Today was our first training run and "Getting Started" clinic for the North Team. I had an awesome time. :) Our run was supposed to be 4 miles, but got cut back to 40 minutes so that everyone would finish at the same time for the clinic. I thought I'd started my Nike+ (sans headphones), but when I went to turn it off at the end, I realized I hadn't even started it. So, I have no idea how far I ran or what my pace was. It felt kind of quick at the beginning, but I settled into a good pace.

Melissa and I decided that next week, at our 5 miler, we're officially going to become Run/Walkers. It's not that we couldn't be runners for a mere 5 miles, but we've decided to get our Run/Walk groove on early so that we're used to it. I'm thinking about an 8:1 or 8:2 ratio will be perfect this season.

Today I also picked up a new pair of running shoes. I've been having a lot of pain in the arches of my feet, and I suspected it was my shoes. The shoe gurus at Running Unlimited confirmed that they think it could be due to the lack of support offered by my Newtons. I was finally SUPER picky about my running shoes. I nit-picked like crazy, wanting to make sure that this time, I made the right choice. I landed in Asics Gel-Nimbus 9s, in a pretty blue color. (Although now I've looked for the picture online and I see they also come in green... I'm a little jealous of the green ones and may have to order those later this season, if these shoes work out!)



I'm still planning on using the Newtons sometimes. They're a good challenge for my feet & legs. They make me a different kind of runner. But I think I'll use them once or twice a week and stick to the Asics the rest of the time.

Hoorah for new shoes!

1 comment:

Iron Jayhawk said...

Great choice! :)

...I almost forgot how great it is to wake up THAT early for a long run. ;)